7.25.2005

God Knits, beyond Psalm 139 - Sara


I've finally finished Owen's sweater - this has truly been a knitting adventure for me! This is my first sweater project. I've had enough of scarves, purses, etc. It was easy enough to knit, but when I tried it on Owen we were in for a surprise - the neck was too small! No problem, I thought. I'll just rip out the neckband and reknit it. Once again, theory proves easier than practice. I have become so good at hiding my yarn ends that I couldn't find the end to the neckband. Impatient and eager to do the quick fix job, I got out my trusty scissors and made just a few oh-so-small snips near the base of the neck band. Why bother with unraveling row by row when you can just go to the base right off the bat? After pulling off the neckband, my heart nearly fell through the floor. You guessed it, I not only snipped into the front of the sweater, there were about 12 ends laughing at me and unraveling at will. Too discouraged and afraid to even touch the sweater lest more stitches come out, the sweater laid on my kitchen cupboard for a week. By then I worked up enough courage to tackle the task of fixing this mess. After all, I had gotten myself into, so I should be able to get myself out of it. Worse case scenario would be turning the sweater into a V-neck. An hour and a half later (and some very tense shoulders!) I had it back to it's original state, ready to pick up the stitches for the neckband. And you can see the happy result (if posing in a wool sweater in the middle of July can be called happy!).

After all this, I had to think about how often we are really messed up knitting projects. But in the hands of our capable Creator, He untangles our sinful knots and turns us around into a beautiful (and functional!) piece of art. And in the process we learn patience, trust in Him, and that our problems weren't that big after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment