10.25.2005

Rockin' Pastor

Thanks to the bad scheduling of one of my friends, and the generosity of another, I was here last night for my first ever "non-Christian" real-live rock concert.

Bad news first:
- pricey! $50 for a nosebleed seat. $2400 for front-center. Good thing for that generosity...
- a little meshing of religions. Jew, Christian and Muslim called upon to coexist and stop fighting. I can go that far, but then to say we're all sons of Abraham... well, true by tradition, but Jesus had more to say about that (John 8:31-44).

Mixed:
At the end of "Bullet the Blue Sky," my least favorite U2 song (anti-war and America), Bono mimed being a blinded USA veteran, sang "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again," and dedicated it to USA military personnel. He wants peace, but isn't a raging lunatic about it, and acknowledges some realities, it seems. Same with his AIDS in Africa and poverty work, it seems. I admire his efforts, because even after some of his naivete is stripped away by realism, he continues to try. Walk on.

Good:
Here are the lyrics to the last two songs (of the double encore!) sung. Both are prayers.
(By the way, no swearing by anyone on stage - or even in the crowd that I heard - all night. A very clean, well-done show.)
To save space, capital letters begin a new line...

"Yahweh"
Take these shoesClick clacking down some dead end streetTake these shoesAnd make them fitTake this shirtPolyester white trash made in nowhere Take this shirt And make it clean, cleanTake this soulStranded in some skin and bonesTake this soul And make it singYahweh, YahwehAlways pain before a child is bornYahweh, YahwehStill I’m waiting for the dawnTake these hands Teach them what to carryTake these handsDon’t make a fistTake this mouth So quick to criticiseTake this mouthGive it a kissYahweh, YahwehAlways pain before a child is bornYahewh, YahwehStill I’m waiting for the dawnStill waiting for the dawn, the sun is coming upThe sun is coming up on the oceanThis love is like a drop in the oceanThis love is like a drop in the oceanYahweh, YahwehAlways pain before a child is bornYahweh, tell me nowWhy the dark before the dawn?Take this cityA city should be shining on a hillTake this cityIf it be your willWhat no man can own, no man can takeTake this heartTake this heartTake this heart And make it break

"40" [think, Psalms]
I waited patiently for the Lord.He inclined and heard my cry.He brought me up out of the pitOut of the miry clay.I will sing, sing a new song.I will sing, sing a new song.How long to sing this song?How long to sing this song?How long, how long, how longHow long to sing this song?You set my feet upon a rockAnd made my footsteps firm.Many will see, many will see and hear.I will sing, sing a new song.I will sing, sing a new songI will sing, sing a new song.I will sing, sing a new songHow long to sing this song? How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song? How long to sing this song?

No comments:

Post a Comment