12.15.2005

Narnia - Lion, Witch and Wardrobe (LWW) - chapter 1

We're going to see Narnia tomorrow night, so I decided to give "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" a quick read first. Then I decided, halfway through the first chapter, to keep track of all the biblical allusions or other significant lessons which it seems to me Lewis is trying to convey. See how projects tend to grow on me?

This'll be kind of rough; just quick, off-the-cuff thoughts I'm jotting (typing) as reading. And yes, I'll go through it all, so if you don't want me spoiling the story if you haven't read/seen it yet, reader beware!

By the way, there are TONS of books that do this kind of thing, and good teachers who have teaching series on Narnia. I've seen many of them, but haven't actually read ANY of them. This is all original to me...

Chapter 1
1. Characterization of the 4 siblings
- Susan is high-minded: “Go to bed, Edmund.”
- Edmund is impudent and against authority: “Who are you to tell me to go to bed?”
- Lucy is innocent and wants the whole group together: “Shouldn’t we all go to bed?”
- Peter, the natural leader, leads by example: “I’m going to bed.”
2. Tumnus is Christmas shopping? When the witch has said there is to be no Christmas? Traitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment