4.05.2006

What was Noah thinking?!

This is the first year I've ever had spring bulbs blossom - so far about a dozen golden crocuses have cheered me and the kids each morning when we look out our front windows. The hyacinths are showing promising growth and will likely blossom in the next 10 days or so. Tulips are on their way. I love flowers, especially these cute little yellow ones. It's like growing sunshine.

Apparently Mr. Bunny likes little yellow flowers as well. Yup, he ate all but two of my crocuses! Noah could've left rabbits off the ark with no consequential ecological damage. There are plenty of other small varmits for larger predators to eat.

Living in a neighborhood prevents one from dealing with such problems as they should - Clint Eastwood style. So we headed to the store for chemical warfare weapons. I was looking for something with a name like "Liquid Bullets" or "RIP Rabbits." Death in a can, extra-strength. Steve pointed out a product called "Havaheart." He doesn't really understand the level this battle has escalated to (last spring the evil furballs PICKED CLEAN my entire garden, leaving green sticks in neat rows). The best we could come up with was a repellent called Liquid Fence. I'll let you know if it works. I would much prefer to wake up in the morning and find carcasses instead of tracks. By the way, isn't angora yarn made of rabbit fur??

If anyone else has had problems with rabbits eating their greens, please let me know how to save my flowers and future garden. I'm almost ready to buy a large dog (you have to know me to appreciate the extreme nature of that statement!).

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sara,

    Last spring I had every single one of my crocuses eaten by a very large white TAME rabbit that belonged to one of our neighbors! I'm not sure if it got out and they just couldn't catch it, but he ate everything in sight. He hopped from house to house enjoying himself, and though no one else complained about him, I about sent CJ out the door a few times after him! I never did figure out exactly which house he belonged to, but thankfully, he hasn't been around this year. I don't have a problem with wild rabbits, but thought I'd share my sympathy for you!! Do whatever it takes!!! :)

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What to do with rabbits.

    1. get a good dog.
    2. human hair scattered about helps. Needs to be renewed after rain falls.
    3. some people swear by mothballs...but you have small children... not generally a good idea.
    4. Water sprinklers that are set off by critters coming close by
    5. there's a plant that helps.. but I can't think of it right now... if I have time today I'll research it and let you know

    that's all I have for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog. We do have quite a bit in common! Congratulations on the coming baby!
    I love to talk homeschooling, so feel free to email me anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:10 AM

    I seem to recall being in that chemical warfare aisle in Meijer last year and striking up a conversation with an elderly couple there, and she suggested planting lettuce along with your flowers so that the "pests" are drawn to eat that instead of your flowers. I'm not even sure if they grow at the same time, but it's worth a shot! I want to say marigolds (not my favorite flower, but a cute name :) ) serve the same purpose, but I can't remember if it's for rabbits or something else... it's something about their smell, I think.

    By the way, VERY impressed by your tea shawl!! And, let's set up that playdate soon :)

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. supposedly planting rue around your garden helps. Also....8 inches of chicken wire....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete