7.29.2006

The Phantom's Mask


None will ever be a true Parisian who has not learned to wear a mask of gaiety over his sorrow, and one of sadness, boredom or indifference over his inward joy.... our lives are one masked ball" (35).

"I shall snatch off [the phantom's] mask, as I shall snatch off my own; and, this time, we shall look each other in the face, he and I, with no veil and no lies between us; and I shall know whom you love and who loves you!" (124).

"Are people so unhappy when they love?" "Yes, Christine, when they love and are not sure of being loved" (178).

"I [the phantom] tore off my mask... and [Christine] did not run away!... And she did not die!... She remained alive, weeping over me, with me. We cried together. I have tasted all the happiness the world can offer!" (335)

"He [the phantom] had to hide his genius... when, with an ordinary face, he would have been one of the most distinguished of mankind!" (348)




So you can pick up on the mask theme from these quotes. Society makes you put on a show, and not reveal your whole self. If we do, we're sure to be rejected and others repulsed by the walking death that is our lives. And yet, we NEED to reveal ourselves to others. It's how God made us. When Christine takes the phantom's mask off the first time, she practically faints and tries to leave, he's so ugly. But the second time (pg 335, above), she stays and loves him. Others might actually accept us if we let our defenses down and be ourselves. Love changes everything.

The other interesting theme is death and life. At first, the phantom appears to be a shade/zombie. He even tells Christine that he is a walking corpse. But as the book progresses we see more human traits, until, when Christine offers her love, he is fully human, and able to love and give in return. Love really does change everything.

"O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!" (Romans 7:24-25)

Sara is almost done reading, too. She'll have some good insights, too, I'd say. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment