8.28.2006

Who's steering this thing?

"My situation was not unique. Negotiating with preexisting staff... was a universal challenge.... Staff is often territorial and quite entrenched in their habits. I learned how personally every suggestion was taken.... My suggestions, I began to realize, were often viewed as tacit criticisms of the way things were being done, and occasionally as personal insults.

"Once on our aircraft as we returned home from England, my husband mused that every time he would buy himself a pair of Bally shoes, they would vanish. Hussein then noted that his most recent Bally acquisition was remarkably similar to a pair of shoes being worn by a staff member walking past our seats at that very moment, and he complimented the man on his taste. It turned out that the shoes were the very ones Hussein had just bought - passed on to the man by the King's valet, who had reportedly said, 'His Majesty will never wear them.'"


Not that I'm royalty, but I actually can relate. Sometimes you wonder just who the king is...

No comments:

Post a Comment