9.27.2006

Been there and back - the DMV

Steve and I went to get our vehicles and drivers licenses transferred from Michigan to Virginia today. We came armed with all the basics: old licenses, passports, birth certificates, bill from our cable company here in Yorktown, titles, registrations, even had my fingerprints on me (I carry them where ever I go).

Everything went smoothly until I (Sara) tried to get my VA driver's license. You need to show proof of residence at your new address in the form of a bill or old bank statement addressed to you at your new address. The problem is the DMV doesn't recognize the "head of household" concept. Nevermind my husband and baby next to me, nevermind the same addresses on our old MI licenses, the wedding rings on our fingers... they just don't believe we're living together! Ha! Having all your bills under your hubby's name doesn't cut it at the DMV! So I can't vote either (because I don't exist in VA) until I gain independence. But somehow I think they'd still let me pay taxes by filing jointly! And let me tell you, you can't sweet talk those folks at the DMV to massage the system. They are some tough nuts to crack!

The library had no problem giving me a card today.

Steve did some dumpster diving and found our forwarding address form from the Post Office, so tomorrow I go back to the DMV to declare my existance. Now the question is what to wear for my new license photo? Would they have a sense of humor if I wore a Halloween mask?

No comments:

Post a Comment