11.05.2006

How to lose an institution

I know; you're wondering if I'm over going to write something of my own again.
Just know that I'm in a catch-up mode on blogs and podcasts, and that my author-self will resurface once that's over.

This one I'm directing back at the denomination I just left, though the original intent was elsewhere. I think it carries over nicely.

"Lack of discipline will kill your [denomination] -- a [denomination] without discipline has no way to fight off 'infections.' If a [denomination] is unwilling or unable to fire administrators or [pastors], [excommunicate] or suspend [members], the [denomination] will take on the mission desire by those the [denomination] refuses to let go. The troublemakers can determine, rightly, that the [denominational leadership] want to do it the troublemakers' way instead of the way set out in the founding vision of the [denomination]" (The Case for Classical Christian Education, p. 182).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:20 PM

    Tim, I'm not sure how your distinction helps to fight off infections harmful to the body.

    Firing, excommunicating, etc., have the double goals of defending/defining the truth, and seeking to return the offender to that truth. They are not inherently without grace and backward looking. The quote is not solely about punishment, but incorporates that as a part of discipline, as does Hebrews 12:5.

    I would say you are reading into the quote a "retributive punishment" scheme; could it be because you disagree with how to fight off infection, or with defining what the infection is?

    ReplyDelete