2.22.2007

No ought in heaven


JI Packer writes beautifully (pgs 115-119) of praising God in prayer, and how it prepares us for heaven. On his deathbed, John Donne wrote this, thinking of musicians who prepared to play during a banquet feast:

"Since I am coming to that Holy room
Where, with thy Quire of Saints for evermore,
I shall be made thy Music; As I come
I tune the Instrument here at the door,
And what I must do then, think here before."


And then, from CS Lewis' "Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer"

"If we were perfected, prayer would not be a duty, it would be delight. Some day, please God, it will be. ... There is no morality in heaven. The angels never knew... the meaning of the word ought, and the blessed dead have long since gladly forgotten it. ... We can picture that world... only by the analogy of our present play and leisure."

No comments:

Post a Comment