7.24.2007

Poems of the Day

To the Snake
Denise Levertov

Green Snake, when I hung you round my neck
and stroked your cold, pulsing throat
as you hissed to me, glinting
arrowy gold scales, and I felt
the weight of you on my shoulders,
and the whispering silver of your dryness
sounded close at my ears---

Green Snake---I swore to my companions that certainly
you were harmless! But truly
I had no certainty, and no hope, only desiring
to hold you, for that joy,
which left
a long wake of pleasure, as the leaves moved
and you faded into the pattern
of grass and shadows, and I returned
smiling and haunted, to a dark morning.





A Word to Husbands
Ogden Nash

To keep your marriage brimming
With love in the loving cup
Whenever you’re wrong, admit it
Whenever you’re right, shut up

1 comment:

  1. I love Ogden Nash's poetry, I was raised on it! Here's my favorite.

    The Perfect Husband


    He tells you when you've got on
    too much lipstick
    And helps you with your girdle
    when your hips stick.

    Your children will love the Tale of Custard the Dragon.

    ReplyDelete