1.07.2010

Happy St. Distaff's Day!

January 7 is traditionally St. Distaff's Day, the day after Epiphany when housewives went back to work after celebrating 12 days of Christmas. We've been doing just that, and let me tell you, I'm ready to get back to work! Christmas is great, but it's time to box up the greenery and glitz and switch gears.

And you know this housewife couldn't let St. Distaff's day go by without doing some spinning herself (even though I don't own a distaff; my arm suffices). I finished filling up my spindle and then plied it all into some very fine yarn to be used for knitting RED lace! Yum! It all happens just as my son read "A New Coat for Anna" - a book about a girl who waits months for her new coat, and watches it go from wool on the sheep, thru the spinner's and weaver's hands, and finally to be sewn by the tailor. Perhaps my kids will try their hands at spinning red wool this week too!

No comments:

Post a Comment