3.22.2011

Contempt and vindication

Anatomy of Peace by Arbinger Institute: Book Cover
"As painful as it is to receive contempt from another, it is more debilitating by far to be filled with contempt for another" (pg 96).


"Although nothing I can do in the present can take away the
mistreatment of the past, the way I carry myself in the present
determines how I carry forward the memories of those mistreatments.
When I see others as objects, I dwell on the injustices I have
suffered in order to justify myself, keeping my mistreatments and
suffering alive within me. When I see others as people, on the other
hand, then I free myself from the need for justification. I therefore
free myself from the need to focus unduly on the worst that has been
done to me" (pg 104).

No comments:

Post a Comment