5.18.2011

A strenuous life

1 Cor 9:24-27
"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competesfor the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."


As we come to the Lord in the joy of worship, we also know that the Christian life is one of strain and striving. The more godly you try to be the more temptation there is to resist. We must fight it hard, with discipline and temperance. But we tend to redirect our energies away from God’s glory toward more self-serving pursuits. We more zealously guard our time with our spouse than we do our time with God. We delight in Facebook more than God’s Word. Some of us are more intense about our Wii Fit sessions, or the Super Bowl, than we are about following Christ in our family or on the job. Redirect your passion and run the race Christ has set before you.



2/6/11

No comments:

Post a Comment