8.30.2011

On opposing sin sinfully

So we had an interesting discussion lately about how to deal with friends or acquaintances who sin. There is a spectrum from clarity to grace. You can value clarity to such a degree that you demean the person needing correction. Or you can value grace to such a degree that you don't register your opposition to the sin.

And along comes a great example of the first error. Some teacher lost his job for speaking out against gay marriage on his Facebook page. I think it a fine thing to speak against gay marriage, and don't think he should have lost his job. But when he wrote what's below, he didn't do himself any favors on the job front, and he opposed sin sinfully.


“By the way, if one doesn’t like the most recently posted opinion based on biblical principles and God’s laws, then go ahead and unfriend me. I’ll miss you like I miss my kidney stone from 1994. And I will never accept it because God will never accept it. Romans chapter one.”


It's the "You're a pain if you don't agree with me" attitude that is the problem, here, not his position. How are we to win people to the truth and joy of Jesus with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment