1.09.2012

Abide and Cling


John 15:1-5
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."


When we celebrate Communion we act out these words. This is our reality. We are united to Christ like a tree trunk keeps a branch alive. Our calling, by grace, is to maintain the connection, feed off the sap from the trunk, sprout leaves and bear fruit. Communion is a way we do this. We delight in God’s words and ways. We cling to Christ. In communion we eat and drink from the source of life, and the only place salvation can be found, the body and blood and life of Jesus Christ. As we do this we taste of the blessing and joy that comes from union with Christ. Treasure time with Him now.

5/8/11

No comments:

Post a Comment