6.15.2012

Who Do You Listen To?

Proverbs 1:22-23
“How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.

It can be hard to listen to wisdom. We are simple, and the word means gullible, naïve. We listen too quickly to the world’s call to sin. "What’s that? Wreck my marriage and family and career for a night or two of pleasure? Okay, sure." Or we think that scorning the wicked, scoffing at sin is all it takes to be wise. It is one thing to critique worldliness, but it’s a whole 'nother animal to live faithfully before God. Fools hate knowledge. They turn away from maturity because it might mean – gasp - reading a Book. We need to listen to lady wisdom’s rebuke, heed it, and turn. Learn to be suspicious of the siren song of the serpent; but be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit, who makes His words known to you.

10/16/11

No comments:

Post a Comment