10.11.2012

Union by the Spirit - Pentecost


John 14:15-18, 25-26
“If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.... 25  “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

The Spirit came down on Pentecost and settled in our hearts. The flame sat down on, and into, every believer. This is your story if you have trusted Christ. You have the Holy Spirit living within you. Christ went up, but the Spirit came down. We are not left as orphans. And as citizens of heaven, we are brought there by the Spirit every Lord’s Day, especially here at this table, united with the body of our Savior Jesus. It is the Spirit who unites. You with Jesus. You with your fellow church members. You with your children, your parents, with your spouse. You with your neighbor who the Spirit is drawing to faith in Christ.

5/6/12

No comments:

Post a Comment