5.25.2015

Psalms

9
I will recount Your great deeds, Lord.
You upheld my cause and turned back the nations, my enemies.

11
How can I think my enemies will get me, and there's nothing I can do about it?
I'll take refuge in God, who is in His temple, testing the righteous, righteous Himself, opposing the wicked.

12
The faithful are disappearing and the wicked are multiplying.
But God will arise and save the poor.

13
How long will You hide from me, and not help me out of my funk, Lord?
But I trust You and will sing to You, because You have been good to me before.

14
Fools say there is no God.  No one understands or does good.
But when God saves, Israel will be glad.

15
Who can be with God?  The blameless, at peace with his neighbor, who despises vileness and honors God-fearers, the honest and fair.  God will establish them.

16
Preserve me, Lord!  The wicked have sorrow, but You've given me pleasant portion.  You instruct me in the night, give my heart joy, you won't let me rot in the grave, but set me on the path of life and pleasure next to You.


How this is about Jesus
Peter quotes Psalm 16 in his Pentecost sermon, pointing out that it can't have been about David, since his bones are there in Jerusalem.  This is Jesus talking!  Re-read the Psalms as if Jesus were singing them to the Father.


Application
These become more relevant the more marginalized Christianity becomes in our culture.


Psalm 9:19-20
Arise, O Lord! Let not man prevail;
let the nations be judged before you!
Put them in fear, O Lord!
Let the nations know that they are but men!

Psalm 12:8
"vileness is exalted among the children of man."

No comments:

Post a Comment