6.25.2015

Solomon's Song of All Songs

Chapters 1-3
Her: your love is the best.  Where can I find you?
Him: you are lovely and beautiful, more than all women.
Her: he sustains me with shade and fruit like the best tree in the woods.

Her: he's coming!  And he's calling me away to himself.  He is mine; I am his.
I dreamed I was back in town, and couldn't find him.  When I found him, I clung tightly.

King Solomon arrives in majesty and luxury for his wedding.

Chapters 4-5
He: you are beautiful!  Your eyes, hair, teeth, lips, cheeks, neck and breasts are all lovely.
You have captured my heart.  Come away with me.  My garden girl needs to blossom.
She: come enjoy your garden - me!

She: I had a similar dream.  He was knocking outside but I couldn't answer right away, though I was dripping with desire to answer.  When I did answer, he was gone.  I ran out in the street not decent looking for him, and got a beating for it.

She: his head and hair, eyes, cheeks, lips, arms, body, legs and mouth are strong and lovely.

Chapter 6-8
He: there are lots of women [and Solomon would know], but you are the perfect, lovely one.
Your feet, thighs, navel, belly, breasts, neck, eyes, nose and hair delight and captivate me.
You're like a palm tree with fruit, and I'm climbing and picking.

She: let's go out to the fields - I'll give you my love there.
I almost wish we were siblings, so we could be affectionate in public.
Love is as strong as death, and way stronger than money.

Let's protect those who are sexually inexperienced or weaker (8:8-9).

Hurry to me, so I can hear your voice!


How this is about Jesus????
Jesus compared himself to Solomon in Matthew 12:42.  His desire is that we be with Him where He is (John 17:24).  He is majestic and beautiful (Psalm 45) and makes us glorious for our wedding day with Him (Ephesians 5:27).  It can be frustrating waiting for that time, but wait we must.  Delights and pleasures await us in union with Christ (Psalm 16:11).


Application
Men need to delight in verbally loving their wives, using these verses as a model.
Women need to delight in giving themselves physically to their husbands.
One way sin messes up marriages is by hindering these things.

Singles can cheer on married people in their love, while they wait for their time of love.  It WILL come, either in earthly marriage or in the greater delight at the wedding supper of the Lamb in glory.


"Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
and come away....
let me see your face,
let me hear your voice,
for your voice is sweet,
and your face is lovely."
Song 2:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment