7.27.2015

Philippians

1
Paul and Timothy to the church at Philippi:
I thank God for you - He'll finish what He started in you.
My imprisonment has advanced the Gospel, so rejoice with me.
I expect to be released, but I'd almost rather die and be with Christ, which is better.
Live up to the grace you've received, suffering for Christ if need be.

2
Be like-minded and like Christ, in His humility, putting others before yourself.  He did this, going to the cross, and was exalted afterward.
So work out your salvation, avoiding complaining like the whole world does.  If you stand out like that, I don't care if I die, I'll rejoice.
I'll send Timothy to you soon, a faithful son.
Epaphroditus comes now, since you were worried about his sickness.  He almost died, but now you can rejoice and we can all be relieved that God spared him.

3
Watch out for those dogs, the Judaizers, who put confidence in their circumcision.  I put confidence in nothing of my own.  It's all loss compared to knowing Christ and having His righteousness.  I press on to know Him and forget things I used to trust.  Imitate me in this, instead of following those who talk down the cross.

4
Help one another be in harmony, especially Euodia and Syntyche.
Rejoice always!  Be gentle, and know God's peace as you pray to Him for everything.
Think on things true, good, lovely, and right.
I'm glad you sent me a gift again.  I can be content with whatever, but you did well to think of me.  I seek the fruit the gift helps bring about, not the money itself.
God will meet your needs, as you have contributed to mine.
There are Christians in Caesar's household, and they with all the saints greet the Philippians.


Application
When things are hard for others, we focus on the restoration of their comfort and convenience.  Paul goes a different direction: how is this hardship advancing the Gospel or growing me in the Lord?  This leads him to tell the Philippians repeatedly to rejoice, even though he's in jail.

Christ-likeness (chatper 2), seeking to know Him (chapter 3), and make peace with His people (chapter 4) are more important than other circumstances like imprisonment or financial hardship.


Philippians 3:7-11
"But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment