11.12.2015

Jeremiah 30-33

30
Your wounds and pain are incurable, because of your sins.  But I will heal and restore you after I discipline you.

31
Chapters 31-33 are a highlight of all Scripture.  Here are some high points:
"I have loved you with an everlasting love" vs 3.
"Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance... my people shall be satisfied with my goodness" 13-14.
"A voice is heard in Ramah... Rachel weeping for her children" vs 15.
"There is hope for your future... and your children shall come back" vs. 17.
"I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish" vs. 25.
"I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel... I will write [my law] on their hearts... I will forgive their iniquity" vs. 31-34.

32
While Judah is besieged by Babylon and Jeremiah is under arrest for prophesying to King Zedekiah that he should surrender, Jeremiah's cousin comes and offers him first dibs on a field to buy.  God says this is a sign of hope, that things will be normal again some day.

"They have turned to Me their back and not their face" vs. 33.
"I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them" vs. 39.

33
God speaks again, while the siege goes on and Jeremiah is arrested:  I will give this land peace, forgiveness and joy again.  I will remember My covenant with David and give a Branch/ruler from His line, called "Yahweh our righteousness," to do justice.


How this is about Jesus
He is the restorer of lands - the meek shall inherit the earth.
He is the bridegroom and wine-provider at the Last Wedding, giving joy.
He establishes a new sacrament right before His death, a sign of hope after death.
He is the Branch to rule from David's descendants.


Application
Notice how helpless Israel is at this point, stuck in their grief (31:15) and idolatry (32:29-30).
But God will restore on His own, for His glory (32:36-41).  He will provide a king for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment